[Go-essp-tech] error in "institute" capture

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Wed Mar 2 18:47:54 MST 2011

Dear all,

I hope that the following two items can be implemented soon:

1.  Users should be able to ask ESG to display only datasets they have
permission to download:

Without this, a "CMIP5 commercial" user will have to subselect (point
and click on!) only the models they are allowed to download, and they
will have to consult an external table to figure out which tables those
are.  If they don't do this, when they go to download the files they
will be asked if they want to join the "CMIP5 research" group, and I
don't want them to do this if they are going to use the data for
commercial purposes.    We're asking a lot of users to expect them to
jump through lots of hoops to honor the "terms of use".

Similarly lots of CMIP5 data is already published (and visible via ESG),
but hasn't been released for download.  Users who want to download CMIP5
data will have to eliminate one by one all the models that are not yet
public before downloading, and it is not obvious which models those
are.  This is a pain.

2. I noticed that the institute information is lost when a gateway
harvests datasets from another gateway (at least it doesn't appear in
the "Search Categories").  If you look at the institutes listed at BADC,
you find MOHC, but the same datasets listed at PCMDI or NASA JPL don't
include the institute information under "Search Categories".