[Go-essp-tech] Fwd: Re: [metafor] ESGF Metadata Telco

Cecelia DeLuca Cecelia.DeLuca at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 30 09:38:09 MDT 2011

  Hi, a few thoughts after the call about who does what:

We identified three distinct joint work areas today:
1. Evolution of the CIM (broader than ESGF since other
projects are using it)
2. Implementation of future metadata capabilities that
conform to ESGF (with one maybe as a partnership between
Curator collaborators and E.U. collaborators, so in a sense
this one is smaller than ESGF)
3. Definition of interfaces as an ESGF activity

I am thinking 3. includes:
- what portion of the CIM ESGF will use (i.e. the scope
of the CIM used but not the structure, which is covered in item 1.)
- what are acceptable exchange formats for ESGF?
- aspects of interactions with other interfaces, like the
search

Do others think those are the right jobs for the 3 group?
(This is a little tough because these are different hats
more than different people.)

The questions I had coming out of the call were
a. is there anything else we need to cover in 3?
b. how do we begin talking about 2?

Cecelia

On 6/30/2011 9:06 AM, trubliphone wrote:
>  All,
>
>  Here are the minutes from today's telco.  I suggest that somebody
>  archives these in an appropriate place.  And between us we come up
>  with a set of objectives to discuss at the next telco.
>
>  ESGF  Metadata Telco 1
>
>  Attending:
>
>  Allyn Treshansky
>  Mark Morgan
>  Sylvia Murphy
>  Gerry Devine
>  Hans Ramthun
>  Don Middleton
>  Antonio Cofiño
>  Paul Slavin
>  Stephen Pascoe
>  Max Tuni
>  Estani Gonzales
>  Tobias Weigel
>  Maarten Plieger
>  Cecelia DeLuca
>  Eric Stephan(?)
>
>  Minutes:
>
>       * objectives:
>           * 3-6 months
>           * 6+ months
>
>       * current status
>           * CMIP5 Questionnaire, THREDDS servers; [ATOM feeds] (sources
>  of metadata)
>           * ESG Portal, CIM Portal, other portals (consumers of metadata)
>
>           * demand for services
>               * search
>                   * should this group work on standardising the results
>  [envelope] (or facets?) of search; Or is this the responsibility of
>  the ESGF search working group?
>                   * this can be informed by the ESGF working group on
>  THREDDS content (look on the wiki for the exact name)
>              * controlled vocabularies (both to define CVs and serve/search CVs)
>                   * CVs can be simple name/value pairs and/or can have
>  relationship information associated with them; this includes not only
>  parent/child relationships but also constraint information
>
>       * what format to persist metadata?
>           * RDF to XML to JSON encoding translations are currently problematic
>           * there are also issues in encoding provenance&   translate it
>  across formats (provenance = a formal way of describing "what
>  happened" to produce [the artifact described by] this metadata
>  document ie: pipeline, workflow, etc. ); the community working on that
>  problem may have insight on our issues
>           * We should not force everybody to conform to a single
>  metadata standard/format; instead we should support multiple
>  persistance implementations, but standardise on an exchange format
>           * it is important to agree on the interfaces and let groups
>  implement the back-end as they see fit
>
>       * could ESGF metadata push for the establishment of a formal
>  committee / review process for CIM 2.0 development?
>           * TODO: AT: to ask Bryan et. al. about the status of CIM 2.0 governance
>

>  another telco in 2 weeks time
>

>  On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:04 AM, trubliphone<trubliphone at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>  http://openetherpad.org/PMSVLjyQOr
>>

>>  On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Mark Morgan<momipsl at ipsl.jussieu.fr>   wrote:
>>>  Hi
> [...]

Cecelia DeLuca
NESII/CIRES/NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory
325 Broadway, Boulder 80305-337
Email: cecelia.deluca at noaa.gov
Phone: 303-497-3604