[Go-essp-tech] Handling missingdata in the CMIP5 archive

Bentley, Philip philip.bentley at metoffice.gov.uk
Fri Jun 24 08:47:12 MDT 2011

Hi George,

Your chosen solution to use a metadata attribute ('nodata' in your case)
to flag that a given file is an empty/null file is exactly the solution
that I had in mind for CMIP5 files comprised of all missing data.

Unfortunately - and the reason I didn't pursue it on mailing lists -
such files would not, I think, be CF-compliant and as such would likely
trip up current netCDF client software (and certainly the tools likely
to be used for analysing CMIP5 datasets).

Although it's probably too late to use this device on the CMIP5 project,
nonetheless I wonder if it isn't worth making a proposal along these
lines to the CF mailing list?

Regards,
Phil