[Go-essp-tech] Handling missingdata in the CMIP5 archive

Kettleborough, Jamie jamie.kettleborough at metoffice.gov.uk
Fri Jun 24 06:47:10 MDT 2011

Hello Estani,

You are right - when I was talking about 'visual' clues I'd missed the obvious  - that is hard to see what *isn't there* in a list of things that look pretty much the same apart from some date strings.  What is more likely is someone's analysis will fail in some way. Where this is the case I'd prefer the failure to be early so I know something special has happened (annoying though it is).  Unavailable times in a coordinate array, I think, will be something that will be more likely to send out the earlier signal that there is something unusual about this data than data arrays filled with missing data.

I also agree that if a file is missing on a users machine they don't immediately know where it got lost - it could be a transfer failure to their machine (though I'm not sure how likely it is that they will end up with no file, rather than a truncated file.)  They can find out though by going back to the 'listing' of what files are in the CMIP5 archive or - if it existed - the information that tells users what data is unavailable.

So, despite missing some obvious point in my original e-mail, I'm still not convinced that filling with missing data is the right thing to do.

Jamie

(sorry I know I don't know much about CMIP5 QC or doi's or ESG infrastructure)