[Go-essp-tech] [ESGF-Search] Opensearch and XML representation of a search query

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Wed Jun 8 08:15:57 MDT 2011

BTW, on a technical note, the ESIP Federated Search convention can be summed up (mostly) as follows:

(1) Currently, we stick to the Atom response type, but there is pressure to add RSS.

(2) We adopt the draft Spatial and Temporal extensions to OpenSearch.

(3) We use a recursive mechanism to link dataset-level searches to file-level searches. The response to an OpenSearch request for datasets is expected to include links to OpenSearch Description Documents (OSDD) for the respective file-level searches for each dataset.  In practice, this usually means generating the file-search OSDD on the fly with the dataset identifier already "filled in" in the search template.  (Of course if you are only doing dataset-level or file-level searches, this is irrelevant.)

(4) We are trying to canonicalize the links in the response (using the "rel" attribute) to make them less ambiguous to clients, i.e., which one is the link to the data file, vs. the link to the metadata file, etc.
--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185