[Go-essp-tech] [ESGF-Search] Opensearch and XML representation of a search query

Cinquini, Luca (3880) Luca.Cinquini at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 7 08:30:53 MDT 2011

Hi Stephen,
you are lucky, the exact query details will be under discussion on Thursday...

That said, I personally do think we should try to express our query service in term of OpenSearch. Wether or not we want to use the OS extensibility mechanism is under discussion...
The query you represent below would be a very good way to advertise the service query syntax, the only drawback is that you would need to upgrade the ESGF schema for every new facet that becomes part of the system. A more dynamic approach would be to encode all terms within the standard "q" parameter, i.e.

http://somehost/search/q="climate activity:cmip5 product:output institute:MTEST model:ECHAM experiment:amip"

versus

http://somehost/search/q=climate&activity=cmip5&product=output&institute=MTEST&model=ECHAM&experiment=AMIP

But we are spoiling all the fun for Thursday...

Luca