[Go-essp-tech] [esg-node-dev] Use of <metadata> element in THREDDS catalogs

Gavin M. Bell gavin at llnl.gov
Mon Jun 6 16:31:18 MDT 2011

 Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting the docs.
I'll take a look at it.

I am pretty hell bent on building a shell.  It is the right thing to
do.  Maybe this is a place where we can play well with CDX?
I don't know enough about CDX.  I do know that command line is the way
to go.  I don't have a dog in the RPC hunt because if you design things
properly all RPC layers should be interchangeable (IMHO).

I'll have more meat on this skeleton... so in a couple weeks can we
gather up interested parties and have this conversation.

On 6/4/11 2:34 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> (from the peanut gallery)
>
>> If a user wants a file from a dataset, they should be able to get the file but we should maintain the context of the dataset by maintaining the dataset as a physical filesystem construct.  For example if you use a mac you will see that an "application" is really a top level directory for a set of files.  When you download an application what you get is a set of files in a file hierarchy such that in concert they manifest the application you expect.  Along the same lines, I would propose that we have a similar construct for datasets and their relationship to files.
> +1 and FWIW, this is the way that we do it in Apache OODT-ville, and on related projects.
>

>> The details of this layout is something I'd like to bring up for discussion, given that the basic premise of what I am saying is accepted.
>>
>> We can then build tools to provide that internalize this construct and thus able to manipulate datasets directly.  I have been mulling over building an ESG SHELL and I think I will finally do so.... as a part of that shell you would be able to perform augmented shell commands like "ls" that would operate accordingly in the context of our notion of dataset.
>>
>> something like
>> .
>> `-- foo_dataset
>>     |-- foo_datafile1.nc
>>     |-- foo_datafile2.nc
>>     |-- foo_datafile3.nc
>>     |-- foo_datafile5.nc
>>     `-- foo_dataset.catalog
> Note here too that based on our experience on the CDX project, these types of tools are useful that's for sure. See this paper for some more information [1]. One tradeoff is the maintainability of specific UNIX-like commands versus simply putting up a POSIX or service style facade interface in front of the underlying grid services that in turn talk and speak nicely with the UNIX-like commands. One way to do this would be to front ESGF services with WebDAV or something similar (aka FUSE at the filesystem/OS level) and then "mount" ESGF datasets.
>
> This doesn't solve the problem of downstream services though, and value-added metadata (unless we go so far as to build Spotlight :-), which I don't think is the way to go. Some examples of value-added services that are interesting can be seen in the context of OODT-139 [2] over at Apache. We've been working on pedigree/tracing, metadata dumping, etc. that might be nice to look at and collaborate on here.
>
>> With this kind of structure you would always have the full catalog for the dataset present and represented.  You may have all or a subset of files that are in the catalog present.  In the replication scenario, you would have them all.  In the end user scenario you may have a subset.  The augmented esgf-shell "ls" command you would be     able to additionally see what files are present vs what files are not.
> [...]

Gavin M. Bell
Lawrence Livermore National Labs
--

 "Never mistake a clear view for a short distance."
       	       -Paul Saffo

(GPG Key - http://rainbow.llnl.gov/dist/keys/gavin.asc)

 A796 CE39 9C31 68A4 52A7  1F6B 66B7 B250 21D5 6D3E