[Go-essp-tech] PKI access control on data nodes

Sébastien Denvil sebastien.denvil at ipsl.jussieu.fr
Tue Jul 12 08:34:40 MDT 2011

  Hello Jamie,

On 12/07/2011 16:07, Kettleborough, Jamie wrote:
> Hello Estani, Phil, Martin,
>
> Thanks for your replies on this.  I think the summary of what you are telling me is: 'its harder to provide an API that will give a data user the http token than it is to get the nodes to all use the same PKI method'.
>
> As I understand it Martin and the BADC are contacting the data node owners to encourage the them to support the PKI method.  So I guess I'll wait for the out come of that.
>
> In the mean time I'm not sure I've been clear on what our data use is - sorry.   I think its fairly typical for a multi-model analysis.
>
> The highish level context is something like this (at the risk of teaching grandmothers to suck eggs)... There are a number of scientists, at the Met Office,  hoping to write papers based on the analysis of the CMIP5 multi model ensemble.  Before they can do the analysis to contribute to the paper they'll need to gather the same set of diagnostics from a number of experiments: say piControl, historical, and a couple of rcp simulations.  They'll probably want the initial condition ensembles to help take into account internal variablitiy.  They'll want the data from as many models as are available so they can start to understand/quantify/take into account the possible role of model errors.  Obviously they'd like the data gathering bit to have as little intrusion or interuption in their normal working schedule as possible.  As they want the papers to contribute to the IPCC AR5 they need to have submitted the paper by July 2012 - which means they have about a year to get data, do some analysis, write up and submit - this is a pretty tight timeline, so we want to start gathering data now, even if only for a few models.
>
> We're also on a slow network and have security constraints that make things a bit harder for us.  And some users will want the same data sets, so we want to minimise the amount of 'double fetch'  - so we will provide a local replication of a subset of the CMIP5 archive to MO scientists. But I'm not sure how typical these things are elsewhere.

I think this is a typical behaviour for a group willing to contribute to
the IPCC AR5. Distributed archive but with multi-centralized/multi-polar
analysis.

> I thought the least risky way we can do this is to go straight to the data nodes to list what data is available, and to fetch the data from the nodes directly.   The data volumes, and number of publication level datasets we are likely to want, makes doing this via the web based gateways impractical.  I'm also guessing that the data nodes have the most definitive list of what they hold, so it the most reliable source for listing data.  Clearly though to do this we need 1) a list of nodes to talk to, 2) a way of listing the data on the data node (I think the thredds catalogue gives us this capability) 3) a way of doing the authenticated get from each node.  (1 and 3 are why I started asking the questions I did).  Obviously we want to also be able to protect against corruption during download, and have some way of understanding when and what to do when exsisting data is corrected, BUT the ability to get data is more important in this first instance.

We follow exactly the same step. We have a code doing that, evolving
code of course.
If you want to make use of it : why not. Contact me.
If there is an interest to put that code on esgf : why not. Contact me.

Cheers.
Sébastien