[Go-essp-tech] Handling missingdata in the CMIP5 archive

Kettleborough, Jamie jamie.kettleborough at metoffice.gov.uk
Mon Jul 11 03:30:04 MDT 2011

Hello Karl,

We've come across some more 'lost diagnostics' in one of our ocean runs.
We have lost a years worth of some annual mean ocean diagnostics.  We
don't think these are recoverable.

Based on the discussion in this thread, and what is easiest for us in
the time available, we intend to submit the lost year as a separate file
with the diagnostics filled with missing data.  So an example of files
from the series will be:

bddtalk_Oyr_HadGEM2-ES_historical_r1i1p1_1860-1880.nc
bddtalk_Oyr_HadGEM2-ES_historical_r1i1p1_1881-1881.nc  # this file will
contain missing data only (I think I have the file name right - I just
made it up)
bddtalk_Oyr_HadGEM2-ES_historical_r1i1p1_1882-1959.nc
bddtalk_Oyr_HadGEM2-ES_historical_r1i1p1_1960-2005.nc

The variables with a complete time series will look like:

talk_Oyr_HadGEM2-ES_historical_r1i1p1_1860-1959.nc
talk_Oyr_HadGEM2-ES_historical_r1i1p1_1960-2005.nc

If you think this is going to cause users or data services problems then
please let us know.

Thanks,
Jamie