[Go-essp-tech] CIM Quality Examples

Martina Stockhause stockhause at dkrz.de
Fri Jul 8 07:23:54 MDT 2011

  Hi, Sylvia,

I add the answers for 2) and 3)

> 2) I am trying to understand what you mean by the granularity of an ESG dataset / publication unit and experiment.  Again I just do see this side of things....
> The current query from the model metadata side displays  all the datasets that have model=x and experiment=y in their TDS.  Is there one QC value for this entire set or are they on the level of the individual datasets in that set (e.g. from a data search.....   project=CMIP5 / IPCC Fifth Assessment Report, model=HadGEM2-ES, Met Office Hadley Centre, experiment=historical, time_frequency=6hr, modeling realm=atmos, ensemble=r1i1p1, version=20101208)
>
> The reason I ask is that if there is one QC value for the entire set, then displaying this information with the model metadata makes sense.  If it is at the level of the search listing above, then it may best be displayed with the data page itself since there is a one to one correspondence.

I am not sure what you mean by model metadata side. If I speak of
experiment I mean the TDS sense of experiment (in metafor that would be
a simulation) and I mean the full DRS name of the experiment, e.g.
cmip5.output1.IPSL.IPSL-CM5A-LR.amip4K. For me the model is part of this
DRS experiment name "IPSL-CM5A-LR".
If your model metadata is the metadata of the realization of one
experiment performed by one model, than this should be my "experiment".

The information for the QC status of an experiment is not sufficient,
esp. if it comes to DOIs. DOIs are related to the latest version (in our
example: version=20101208 ) of all datasets belonging to an experiment
at the time of DOI assignment. Afterwards that version(s) of the
individual datasets belonging to the DOI are fixed. If there is data
published afterwards under a new version, it is not part of the DOI. So,
if you have a quality information/status for an experiment, not all of
the datasets and not always the latest versions of every dataset are
connected to it. For the time of QC level assignment for the experiment
and CIM experiment document publication, the CIM dataset documents tell
you which versions of the datasets are part of that assignment.

Difficult to explain, I hope you get it nevertheless.
> 3) The primary suggestion I would make is that if there is key information that we need to extract and display or extract to connect to something else, that this should not be buried in a long string.  It should be a stand alone entity.
I agree. I just did not find a proper tag. I would be grateful for any
suggestions. I hoped that the metafor people would make assist me, but
they seem to be occupied by other topics. Besides, I still have not
understood there concept how to map metafor UUIDs to CMIP5/Thredds DRS_IDs.

Have a nice weekend,
Martina

--
Martina Stockhause