[Go-essp-tech] DRS, version number & Co

Estanislao Gonzalez gonzalez at dkrz.de
Thu Jul 7 09:46:08 MDT 2011

Hi,

What's the current stand regarding DRS and dataset version number?

I've seen too many data nodes with too many different configurations.
 From invalid datasets name to invalid DRS structure, names, missing
version numbers, etc.
The version number is a particular interesting one, since in some cases
the only way to find it is by parsing the TDS Catalogs themselves, since
the Gateway is not providing this info (AFAICT) and if the DRS is not
followed can neither be implied from the directory structure of its files.

Obviously neither the publisher nor the Gateway is enforcing those
constraints. I think this should be changed ASAP.
Both Node and Gateway publishing steps should enforce this when
publishing for cmip5. I think is the most direct way to get to the
publisher at the right time.

If we keep drifting away from what we already agreed on, we won't be
able to do anything useful with the data at all, since we won't be able
to handle it properly.

I'll urge the data node managers to check DRS compliance.

I've only seen BADC publishing according to the DRS structure. I know
PCMDI, BCC, CNRM and NCCS are not. I haven't checked others.

Thanks,
Estani

--
Estanislao Gonzalez

Max-Planck-Institut für Meteorologie (MPI-M)
Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum (DKRZ) - German Climate Computing Centre
Room 108 - Bundesstrasse 45a, D-20146 Hamburg, Germany

Phone:   +49 (40) 46 00 94-126
E-Mail:  gonzalez at dkrz.de