[Go-essp-tech] Extending the DRS syntax to observations

Steve Hankin Steven.C.Hankin at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 31 11:20:56 MST 2011

Hi Luca,

Just below is a version of your email of this morning which has minor
editorial changes (*in red*) to reflect a broader outlook on the term
"observations", and an initial proposal for gridded /in situ/
observations.    I think if we adopt language like this we will be glad
of it in the long term:

     - Steve

    *Open Questions*

        * Agree on basic DRS-like structure for observations and meaning
          of each field
              o Use activity="cmip5" or activity="cmip54obs", "obs4models" ?
              o DRS hierarchy for models (partial): "institute" >
                "model" > "experiment" > "ensemble"
              o Current proposed hierarchy for *gridded* *remote sensed*
                observations (partial): "institute" (="agency") >
                "mission" > "instrument" > ("processing level" + "other
                specifiers")
              o Alternative proposal for *gridded remote sensed*
                observations (partial): "institute" (="agency") >
                "instrument" > "processing level" > ?
              o Need a proposal for *gridded in situ observations*,
                say:  "institute" (="agency") > "program" >
                "resolution"> "variant" ?
                    + e.g. NOAA/NCAR / ICOADS / 1degree / equatorial /
              o Should we even attempt to describe in situ (point and
                trajectory) observations through DRS?  (can we succeed
                at this?)
        * Decide on whether to have one single CMOR table for
          observations (currently "obsSites"), or more than one
          depending on types of observational data:
              o remote sensed (grids and swaths)
              o in-situ stations (time series and profiles)
              o trajectory-based observations
              o in-situ gridded products
        * Decide on whether to encode global attributes for data source
          in netcdf files ("source", "source_datastream", "source_url",
          "source_reference")

    *Action Items*

        * Populate CV for observations (decide on upper/lower case)
        * Produce some reference datasets
        * Develop snippet of "esg.ini" (ESG publisher) configuration for
          processing observations