[Go-essp-tech] Extending the DRS syntax to observations

Cinquini, Luca (3880) Luca.Cinquini at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jan 31 07:30:01 MST 2011

Hi Rob,
	thanks for your input...
I can see the merit behind your reasoning... On the other hand, the proposal currently detailed on the wiki was motivated by two criteria:

a) Use for observations the same number of fields that are used for models. That is because clients will be written to query/retrieve model output automatically based on the DRS structure, and having the same exact syntax will allow these clients to work on observations too.

b) The DRS fields for models follow a hierarchical structure that points to more and more specific information about that data: model > experiment > ensemble. Similarly, a possible way to narrow down the specification of observations could be mission > instrument > (other specifiers including processing level).

I would argue that a) is important, while b) can be modified according to what the majority of observation providers feels are the best categories to describe and search for observations. If a consensus cannot be reached by email, maybe we should have a teleconference ?

thanks again,
Luca