[Go-essp-tech] Extending the DRS syntax to observations

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Thu Jan 27 12:08:29 MST 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 5:50 PM, Cinquini, Luca (3880) wrote:

> Hi all,
> 	apologies for cross-posting...
>
> I'd like to start a discussion on how the DRS specification for CMIP5 model output (http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5/docs/cmip5_data_reference_syntax.pdf)
> can be applied to observational datasets that will be made part of the same archive.  A proposal based on recent workshops with PCMDI is detailed on this wiki page:
>
> http://oodt.jpl.nasa.gov/wiki/display/CLIMATE/Data+and+Metadata+Requirements+for+CMIP5+Observational+Datasets
>
> As an example, the directory structure for the NASA AIRS dataset would look like this:
>
> <root directory>/cmip5/observations/nasa/aqua/airs/mon/atmos/ta/l3/vYYYYMMDD/<files>
>
> where:
>
> "observations"=<product>, same as DRS "output1" or "output2"
> "nasa"=<agency>, same as DRS "institute"
> "aqua"=<mission>, replaces DRS "model"
> "airs"=<instrument>, replaces DRS "experiment"
> "l3"=<processing level>, replaces DRS "ensemble member"
> vYYYYMMDD=the dated version, same as specified by the DRS

Luca,
   Where do you make visible the information that those files were generated by the AIRS processing software version 5.2.2, or alternatively that it is Collection 5 AIRS and not Collection 3 AIRS?  These distinctions are rather critical w.r.t. the content of the data...

--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185