[Go-essp-tech] ESGF bugs

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Tue Jan 25 18:38:07 MST 2011

[mail troubles; please forgive if you get this twice.]

Dear all,

This morning I said that cosmetic items such as "model CCSM4" as opposed
to "CCSM4" being listed on the model search menu should not be allowed
to hold up "going live".  I also said I didn't think many users would
miss (in the near term) being able to limit their searches to a single
"institution".  I hope I didn't imply that we shouldn't be concerned
about this bugs, especially (on further contemplation) since they might
be symptoms of real problems.  Given that it was said these would be
difficult to fix, I presume that the developers thought these problems
are not trivial, and therefore, I would hope that considerable effort be
devoted to understanding them.  One wonders why the "institution" search
doesn't work but the others do?  Why do other menus not have the problem
of inserting an unwanted descriptor (like "model")?  One would think
that the coding for these things would be somewhat similar, so if in one
case there is a problem, perhaps there are similar problems (as yet
unnoticed) in other parts of the system.

So, please don't misinterpret my suggestion that we could live without
fixing these things as meaning we shouldn't understand these errors
before going live.

best regards,