[Go-essp-tech] Fwd: Expected number of variables for which quality control will be needed

Bentley, Philip philip.bentley at metoffice.gov.uk
Fri Jan 7 03:22:12 MST 2011

Hi Martin,

It's good to hear that our initial tranche of CMIP5 data 'appears' to
get the green light. Since we produced the data using the latest (at the
time) release of CMOR-2 I think, as a project, we'd be in deep doo-doos
if it hadn't passed :-)

As regards the 4 QC checks you mention below, the first three would
appear to be fairly cheap operations. However, I'm aware from my own
recent experience of checking our data outputs that computing the
min/max bounds for a given atomic dataset (one variable spread over
numerous netcdf files) is a cpu- and time-expensive operation.

So I was curious to know why this particular check needs to be done?
Since most of the min/max bounds have been removed from the MIP tables,
what bounds would be used in the QC L2 checks? Perhaps it's the case
that this check is simply skipped if no min/max bounds are defined in
the MIP tables?

Regards,
Phil