[Go-essp-tech] Federation Registry Discussion

philip.kershaw at stfc.ac.uk philip.kershaw at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Feb 28 04:34:54 MST 2011

I didn't think I'd hear myself say this ;) but I think we are best to stick with the Group/Role type for now.

The reason I'd say this is that we have just gone live with the system.  There is still going to be lots to shake down and get working so best to leave this alone.  By 'this' I mean the VO wide attributes 'CMIP5 Research' and 'CMIP5 Commercial': keep them in the Group/Role format.  Once things have settled down a bit we could move to a simple single string type.

The system should AFAIK(!) already support both Group/Role and simple string types.  That's at least what I've done with the Python based implementation here.

I think we should also keep the distinction clear between attributes (something about someone or something) and permissions (aka actions which are permitted on a given resource).    Actions are within the realm of the authorisation process.  Rules in an authorisation service bind those attributes and actions together to determine restrictions on a given resource.

Cheers,
Phil