[Go-essp-tech] Proposed directory structure and filename structure for in-sit stations (time-series and profiles)

Steve Hankin Steven.C.Hankin at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 10 11:16:43 MST 2011

2 cents:  Applause, applause.   But with some concerns.

Existing files of observations often contain multiple variables.  Would
these be re-writtten for the CMIP5 archives?   If not .... then since
the DRS syntax includes the variable name "high up"  (3rd from the top
-- <Activity>/<obs_realm>/<variable>...), presumably this means that
there may be multiple DRS paths to the same data file.  If so, this
should perhaps be discussed in the documentation.

Having <start_date>_<end_date> in the naming pattern suggests that we
are defining a DRS that describes only time series.  Vertical profiles
and trajectories have different naming needs.  Also, we are increasingly
seeing (and hope for more) aggregated virtual datasets of in situ
observations, where the end date is "the present" or "one month ago".
These may confound the system unless the concepts are worked into the
system in advance.

     - Steve