[Go-essp-tech] Extending the DRS syntax to observations

Cinquini, Luca (3880) Luca.Cinquini at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 10 08:28:24 MST 2011

Hi all,
in preparation for our upcoming conference call, I compiled a list of questions that could guide our discussion. This is just a possible way to tackle the problem, if anybody thinks we should follow a different course we can certainly do that.

thanks, Luca

AGENDA

KEY QUESTIONS

1) What are the fields that unequivocally identify an observational dataset, for the purpose of comparing to CMIP5 models ? Are the fields the same for different types of observations ?

- Fields that have the same values as for models: variable, sampling frequency, realm, time period, version

- Fields that have model correspondent, but not necessarily the same values: activity, product

- Fields that are specific to observations: instrument, mission ?, agency ?, resolution ? level and/or processing algorithms, others ?

2) Should observations be organized according to the same directory structure as for models ? If not, should the hierarchy be the same for all observations, or be different for different kind of observations ?

3) What is the convention naming observational files ? (informed from the convention for the directory hierarchy)

4) Should CMOR be mandated for processing observations for CMIP5, or should we rely on CF and CMOR checkers ?

- If CMOR is mandated, how much work (if any) is involved, and where should the funding come from ?

5) Should the Controlled Vocabulary for observations be encoded in one CMOR table, or more than one ?

6) How can the Controlled Vocabulary be developed as a community ?

OTHER DETAILS

Should data be organized on disk as from the CMOR output, or as the DRS specification ?

Which global attributes to be included in netCDF files ?

Which characters can be included in fields that are not controlled vocabularies, for example the <processing level and product version> ?

How to encode ascending versus descending satellite measurements ?

Should the names in the controlled vocabulary be case sensitive ?