[Go-essp-tech] Transition to CMIP5 production status

Estanislao Gonzalez estanislao.gonzalez at zmaw.de
Thu Feb 10 01:51:43 MST 2011

Hi All,

regarding the usability I think we are falling behind. It's normal to
have some resistance from new users, as they have to "learn" yet-a-new
system.

Still, I'm not 100% sure of all the functionality the Gateway offers,
nor how to use it. I can only imagine what a new user might feel like.
I'll give a few examples to be sure I'm not standing on thin air:
1) Login: Nobody understands what OpenId is. Most people have already an
OpenId, so they'll try a few and then give up. Some other just try to
register at every Gateway. Until someone asked me about it, I wasn't
aware that the questionnaire OpenID doe work wonderfully, as it's part
of BADCs identity provider.
2) Federation-search: Most users might not be aware of the harvesting
procedure. They'll login at the gateway that "supposedly" contains the
data, and therefore loggin in to multiple ones (probably until they
realize everything looks alike...)
3) Search: Now I speak for myself. I don't find the search useful at
all... If I try to find a dataset, I have to make my way through the
facets. Because putting the dataset name in the search invalidates it
"Error: Search text contains invalid characters - please use only
letters and numbers " No dots nor dashes! I can't even search for our
model....
4) Version: the version of the dataset is not easy to see... I think
that might bring confusion when a new version is published.

Well, I think we still need to polish a couple of things. Specially
since there's no help at all.

And since we are at it. What's with the about page? We, as well as BADC,
have the default one. Where states that the ESG is funded by the DOE and
only a couple of Institutions and Partners are listed... neither MPI,
DKRZ nor WDCC are mentioned there...

Just a couple of issues to light the fire.

Thanks,
Estani