[Go-essp-tech] Extending the DRS syntax to observations

George J. Huffman george.j.huffman at nasa.gov
Wed Feb 2 14:26:04 MST 2011

Hi all - I'm one of the observational data guys, specifically computing
gridded multi-satellite precipitation estimates.  I've been lurking on
this list and trying to understand the context before I post, but it
might be helpful for me to say what my implicit data hierarchy looks
like for precipitation data in general (with reference to the discussion
so far):

Institution > Project > Instrument > Level > Algorithm > Variable

So, the "final" fine-scale precipitation from the TRMM Multi-satellite
Precipitation Analysis (TMPA) would be

NASA > TRMM > Multi-satellite > 3 > TMPA_version_6 > [3-hourly 0.25-deg
precipitation estimate in mm/hr]

There are other variables that could go in the last position since the
original datasets contain multiple variables as "fields".  I should say
that the Goddard DISC puts Level before Instrument, and you might want
to consider why they did that.  [This is mostly an issue if you're
trying to build a syntax that is generally useful, not just focused on
gridded data.]  Also, there are multi-instrument algorithms on the same
satellite (or nearby satellites in the future).  So, you'd need to
decide whether you want a separate "Multi-instrument" entry for
Instrument, or whether "Multi-instrument" includes both multiple
instruments and satellites, with the details resolved at the algorithm
level.  One argument for the first is that at least part of the time
multiple instruments on the same satellite are used to create a
multi-instrument Level 2 product which is then gridded to Level 3.

It is usually important (in the case of precipitation) to denote whether
the data field is on the original grid or not.  I'm not sure how this
fits the AR5 needs, but a general syntax needs to account for the
possibility that the archive might have more than one representation of
the same data.  A similar issue arises with different versions of the
algorithm.  I tend to think of it as part of the Algorithm (TMPA V.6),
but it could be a separate layer in the classification hierarchy.

I hope this helps -
George

--
George J. Huffman, Ph.D.  (Voice)  +1 301-614-6308
Sci. Sys. & Appl., Inc.   (FAX)    +1 301-614-5492
NASA/GSFC Code 613.1      (Email)  george.j.huffman at nasa.gov
Greenbelt, MD 20771 USA   (Office) Bld. 33 Room C417