[Go-essp-tech] RIP clarification

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Tue Feb 1 11:57:36 MST 2011

Hi Charlotte,

Congratulations! you managed to crack the intended use of "rip" in spite
of what I thought was  a scheme so complicated, that no mere mortal
could be expected to decipher it.

That being said, I think we should probably expect others (with lesser
proclivity to meticulousness) to fail in attempting to follow the
recommendations.  In particular, we may not be able to count on the "p"
and "i" values being consistent across all simulations by a single
model.   If that were the case, would it completely disrupt your plans?

One approach would be as follows:
The first time that someone records the information for an experiment
(i.e., the first member of the "rip" ensemble), they would be asked to
document the model and all the experimental conditions.  Then when
subsequent members were entered, they should only have to reference the
first member and say how the model physics (in some cases when p
differs) or the experiment conditions (initial conditions when "i"
differs and in some cases "forcing" when "p" differs).  In the case of a
different value of "r", typically the "spawning" point from the run will
differ from one member of the ensemble to another.  [Note, however, that
for the TAMIP project, this identifies a different start time for the
forecast within the season.]

Sorry it's so difficult.