[Go-essp-tech] Status of Gateway 2.0 (another use case)

Kettleborough, Jamie jamie.kettleborough at metoffice.gov.uk
Wed Dec 14 09:43:51 MST 2011

	So, the way I picture this is:
	1) get the list of files to be downloaded (in the wget script or
by any other means)
	2) filter that to remove what is not required

This is basically what we do MO - we create  list of files to download,
then compare it with our local file system, and we filter out any we
already have.  I think the replication system would have to do this too
wouldn't it?  For what its worth I think *every* user has their own
version of the replication problem - just the set of files they are
trying to replicate is different and they might be using a different
protocol to fetch the data.

If you accept this way of working as valid/acceptable/encouraged then
does it have implications for the (scriptable) interfaces to either P2P
and or gateway 2?   I think it means there 'should' be an interface that
returns a list of files (not wrapped in a wget script) and then maybe a
service (either client side or server side) that will take a list of
urls and generate the wget scripts.  If you only have an interface that
returns wget scripts then users will have to parse these to enable them
to filter out the files they already have copies of.

Jamie

(Sebastien - I'm aware this sort of touches on a set of unanswered
questions you asked a while ago related to what we do at the MO... I've
not forgotten I want to answer this is more detail, apologies for being
so rubbish at answering so far).