[Go-essp-tech] Status of Gateway 2.0

Eric Nienhouse ejn at ucar.edu
Mon Dec 5 15:35:26 MST 2011

Hi Jennifer,

Jennifer Adams wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
> I have been searching for a way to automate the CMIP5 download process
> -- as many have previously noted, the current gateway interface is
> fine for testing and poking, but for high-volume downloading it scales
> to impossible amounts of time and effort. I was encouraged by the
> Gateway 2.0 beta site at NCAR:
>      http://search-esg.prototype.ucar.edu
> <http://search-esg.prototype.ucar.edu/>
> This quickly gives me what looks like a single wget script to grab all
> models and ensembles for a specified
> experiment/realm/frequency/variable. Excellent!
Great to hear and thanks for the feedback.  Yes, a single wget script
can be generated for a specified experiment/realm/frequency/variable.
Does this model work for your CMIP5 download use case(s)?  Are there
other use scenarios you need or would like to see?

> Q1: Will the version 2.0 wget scripts be using certificates so they
> don't expire?
Using certificates should be easier in the future due to improvements in
the script.  The certificates will still expire, though, typically after
72 hours.  We're working on getting all certificates in the ESG
federation to be a lifetime of 72 hours which will help.  There are
still a few services creating them that issue 12 hour lifetimes.

> Q2: When is the version 2.0 gateway going to become operational?
We're planning to deploy the 2.0 gateway in production at NCAR as soon
as possible and we're testing the 2.0 version heavily right now.
Getting this version ready for use is our top priority.  I'll let you
know once it's deployed and you can try it out.

Thanks,

-Eric