[Go-essp-tech] CMOR DRS name

Kettleborough, Jamie jamie.kettleborough at metoffice.gov.uk
Wed Aug 24 07:25:39 MDT 2011

Hello Estani,

If your application needs reliable time spans from the file I think the best way to do this is to look at the time coordinate in the NetCDF file itself.  Its a bit more cumbersome than implying it from the file name; but should be the most reliable source of information.

I guess the case you are worried about at the moment is drslib deciding whether to put things in output1 or output2?

For what its worth, and from what I remember, when we saw this problem when submitting data, we waited for the 2.6 release of CMOR.

Don't the timeCoverage parts of the thredds catalogs also contain the time span of a file?  My guess is this comes from an interpretation of the time coordinate within the cf netcdf file(s) rather than the file naming convention.  So if you want example code of how to extract the information it may be somewhere in the software stack already.  (I don't know anything about this really - I'm just making educated guesses.  I'm sure someone on the list knows how thredds gets those timeCoverages though.)

Jamie