[Go-essp-tech] ESG-CET Meeting Notes 8/18/2011

Eric Nienhouse ejn at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 18 15:49:42 MDT 2011

Hi All,

Notes from today's 8/18/2011 ESG-CET telco.

Cross posting to go-essp-tech as some items (replication and auth-z
tokens) will be discussed at the next GO-ESSP Tuesday telco.

Agenda:

1. Gateway release 1.3.1 and 2.0.0-alpha, status of PCMDI deployment
2. Migrating from tokens to certificates: necessary steps and schedule
3. Replication status report
4. Interface specification progress reports: Search, Registry, metadata
on hold till Sep., others?
5. RPI OPeNDAP status report, release schedule
6. Other critical issues that require near-term attention

Attendees:

Don M., Nathan H., Nate W., Rick B., Eric N., Roland S., Ross M., Ann
C., Bob D., Alex S., Patrick W.

Minutes:

Don noted many on vacation, light attendance expected.  Dean W. is on
travel.

1. Gateway release 1.3.1 and 2.0.0-alpha, status of PCMDI deployment

Gateway versions 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 have been released and are available
for production upgrades. Both versions have important fixes regarding
search consistency problems and production systems should move to 1.3.1.
Version 1.3.2 will be available in about a week with improvements to the
user registration and OpenID login workflow which we discussed in the
8/4 meeting.  Eric noted the 1.3 version is an important release in
support of v2.0.0 search improvements which are a priority community
need based on CMIP support requests.  Bob plans to upgrade PCMDI as top
priority to v. 1.3, likely next Tuesday and may take Eric up on offer to
help.  Don stressed the urgency of upgrading based on conversations with
Karl.

2. Migrating from tokens to certificates: necessary steps and schedule

We briefly discussed this topic, noting a need to commit to a schedule
for deprecating token use.  Bob asked if NCAR is off tokens.  NCAR is
not, pending user communication, coordination.  Bob asked if there are
any release dependencies for this process.  Yes, including cleanup of
thredds catalog of auth-z token hints.  Don noted that certificate based
downloads have stumbling blocks and workflow can be improved.  The
Gateway team is reviewing.  We all agreed improving user documentation
(eg. FAQs) is a necessary step.  Don mentioned the StackOverflow like
CMIP5 FAQ Stephen has prepared as a valuable tool.  Bob and others
agreed.  Eric and Bob took an action to review end user communications
and documentation in support of migrating off tokens.  We'll discuss in
next week's go-essp call.

3. Replication status report

Ann reported Craig is on vacation and needs to coordinate with Bob next
week.  We'll discuss replication further at next week's go-essp call
with Bob, Craig and Estani as key attendees.

4. Interface specification progress reports: Search, Registry, metadata
on hold till Sep., others?

No reports on this item.  Search and Registry leads Luca, Gavin are out
of the office.  Don noted Gavin had an action from the 8/4 meeting to
deliver a new registry specification and the need to follow-up.

5. RPI OPeNDAP status report, release schedule

Patrick reported a new release of the OpenDAP server will be available
tomorrow with Ferret support.  He is waiting on clarification on
deprecated thredds attributes from Nathan Potter.   Certain attributes
are not implemented as a result.  This release will likely be labeled
"Beta."  Eric noted an action from last meeting was to test publishing
to the OpenDAP service at PCMDI when ready.

No additional items were raised and we adjourned after a record ~25
minute call.