[Go-essp-tech] [esg-node-dev] Re: A CMIP5 FAQ Application

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Aug 16 03:43:08 MDT 2011

Hi Martin,

> The problem with tagging users or labelling their contributions as spam is that you may get letters from their lawyers, so I would start out with a
> system we know how to control - there will be enough chaos if we just open it to contributions from the 40 or so groups who are running
> models or data nodes.

My fear is that the alternative to not having a system like this is that communication within the CMIP5 science and data management community will remain poor.  I understand where you are coming from, because I occasionally follow the climate-debate blogosphere, but I think we should run with this system and see where it works for us where it doesn't.  I think we have no hope of designing a system up-front that does the job nearly as well.
I believe the application has the power to control what content is placed on it.  At the moment it's configured to be very open but cmip5-help can give permissions to users based on their reputation score.  For instance your post is moderated if your score is below a certain value.  Similarly we can set the reputation required to answer/comment/vote/flag/etc.  Once a question is accepted it can be flagged as "misleading", "not-relevant", "inappropriate" or anything you want to configure.  Questions can be closed as "Duplicate", "off-topic", "too subjective and argumentative", "outdated".  Anything that we need that it can't do could be developed (we have the code) but we won't know we need it until we have used it for a while.

> We want to have some system for keeping the content up to date -- perhaps this could be done by tagging answers which are specific to a
> current software version with that version (e.g. "Gateway 1.2.x") and then reviewing them as older versions are, hopefully, eliminated from the
> operational federation,

In the end this tool would be *part of* our procedures for communication and issue tracking.  Someone would have to make sure answers are accurately tagged (maybe with software versions) and answered if relevant.  Closing questions that are out of date, flagging them, etc. etc.

Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
Centre of Environmental Data Archival
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK