[Go-essp-tech] A CMIP5 FAQ Application

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Thu Aug 4 10:11:15 MDT 2011

Hi all,

I agree with Stephen that our ability to quickly respond to the
increasing number of requests seems likely to become overwhelmed.  My
cursory impression is, however, that the most common problems reported
will be difficult for the user community to respond to; they seem to be
associated with flaws in ESG and/or gateway hardware.  Am I correct that
most frequent queries to the help desk are related to:

1.  getting error messages, no response, or incorrect notice that a user
doesn't have the proper permission to successfully download data

2. having problems finding data using the search capability (because
sometimes this fails to return all datasets that it should).

I think NCAR is making progress on the search problems (2 above), but
I'm not sure anyone understands whether there are bugs or just confusion
that's causing all the problems listed in 1 above.  Perhaps along with
thinking about alternatives to the current help desk, immediate
attention needs to be paid to reducing the real problems encountered by
the user by modifying the ESG software, possibly modifying the ESG user
interface, so users won't be so easily confused.

The first step might be to try to confirm that 1 above is causing most
of the problems and to pin down exactly why the problems are being
encountered.  I think someone with a bit more complete technical
understanding of ESG should be able to find the common issues that are
being raised and suggest ways they might be addressed.