[Go-essp-tech] ESGF Search API status update

Cinquini, Luca (3880) Luca.Cinquini at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 3 09:27:24 MDT 2011

Hi all,
	here's a brief status updated on the ESGF Search API working group.

The group met several times, resulting in a draft API for ESGF search services that is documented here:

http://www.esgf.org/wiki/ESGF_Search_API

Community feedback on the API is welcome.

It was decided that the next steps will be:

o To start developing a few implementations of the API, which will help finalize the API, and possibly discover any problems in the specification

o At the same time, develop a controlled vocabulary for a few of the parameters used in the API: facet names, returned types, etc.

We expect several implementations of this API to be available for testing in the September-ish time frame.
(from DKRK and IPSL, from the ESGF p2p Node, and from NCAR)

Still in September, we plan to resume discussion on the following topics:

o How to properly federate data holdings among gateways

o Wether to embed some form of access control information in the search metadata, to properly "guide" the user interface

Thanks to everybody who participated in the telcos,

the ESGF Search API working group