[Go-essp-tech] Fwd: Handling missing data in the CMIP5 archive

Frank Toussaint toussaint at dkrz.de
Thu Apr 28 11:35:49 MDT 2011

Hi Ag,

we classified a missing time step in the exception category "Error",
which means that the QC manager can decide to assign QC level 2 for the
data. For QC L3 / DOI data publication we rely on the results of QC L2,
thus we would follow the decision of the QC manager.

The assignment procedure is documented in:
https://redmine.dkrz.de/collaboration/projects/cmip5-qc/wiki/Qcl2_criteria
The exceptions and their categories are documented in:
http://www.leuchtturm-atlas.de/SCR/qc2list.html

Our view is nearly the same as yours, just a few precisions:
*1. ok
*2a1. If the QC manager decides to reject this data in total and not
assign QC L2. -> stop; data remains on QC level 1.
*2a2. For other cases: Only part of the data, a few variables, do not
meet the QC L2 requirements: Publish a new dataset version in the ESG
publisher excluding these variables and rerun the QC L2
*2b. ok
*2c. If the QC manager decides to accept the data then it is assigned QC
level 2 and can get a DOI. The QC manager should add a comment during QC
L2 assignment for that, which is stored in the metadata and is needed by
the WDCC for the DOI process.
*3. We do not see a difference between 2b and 3. If the data provider
decides to create new data than this is published as a new version and
the QC L2 tool is restarted.

*A provider probably will not be able to only create the missing months,
as the last time step of them should fit to the following step (which is
the first step after the gap). This normally is not the case as most
progtrammes do not run two times the same way in parameter space.
So to avoid discontinuities at end of gap after this has been filled:
*the data after the gap will be dumped,
*the programme restart will be initialised with the last step before the
gap and has to run until normal ending,
*old data before the gap and new data (from start of gap on) may be
glued - new version... and so on!

The assignment of a new version in the ESG publisher for newly delivered
data is important.

Thanks for bringing up this discussion.

Best wishes,
Martina and Frank