[Go-essp-tech] GO-ESSP-Tech 4/19/2011 - Release Coordination - Metrics

Estanislao Gonzalez estanislao.gonzalez at zmaw.de
Wed Apr 20 09:15:05 MDT 2011

Hi,

my 2c to this. I'm no security expert, but I think we are discussing
peanuts here... two reasons for this:

1) If we loose the safety of SSL, pretty much everything is lost. Just
wait for the myproxy endpoint and catch the user password... that's it.
(oversimplified, but, if I understood it right, this is exactly what's
happening there)
2) The OPenID hash is no use. Suppose I get the hash, I could get the
IDP pretty easily, just by registering on the site, or looking arround,
it's out there and it was never meant to be secured. So, let's take the
10 most common hash algorithms and the 10 most common Gateways IDP
(that's a factor 100 for what comes)... how long will it take to "guess"
the user id? ascii lowercase to 10 and you have 99% chances to get it
right (a couple of milliseconds here?). Add some Uppercases and a point,
dash etc and you'll pretty much replicate the hash in no time (ok a
couple of minutes top). Of course I still don't know what you can use
the OpenID for, but that's another question.

But maybe I'm wrong. I just don't like building shields of paper. It's
good to the user sure, because it improves their quality of life (the
feeling of being secure is quite important) but for system
administrators it will be a nightmare (A Security hole in SSL? Well, I
get to it next year it's just too complex and we still have many other
security mechanisms in place...)

I might be exaggerating, but I'm not that sure...

Cheers,
Estani

--
Estanislao Gonzalez

Max-Planck-Institut für Meteorologie (MPI-M)
Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum (DKRZ) - German Climate Computing Centre
Room 108 - Bundesstrasse 45a, D-20146 Hamburg, Germany

Phone:   +49 (40) 46 00 94-126
E-Mail:  estanislao.gonzalez at zmaw.de