[Go-essp-tech] ESGF Telco today 2010/09/07

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Thu Sep 9 16:44:14 MDT 2010

  Hi Balaji and all,

We're *not* going to change the directory structure that CMOR generates
and writes to so it's o.k. to write your output to the structure found
at
http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5/docs/CMIP5_output_metadata_requirements.pdf.
The publisher, however, will modify (in effect) the structure:

1) to include a "version number" subdirectory, as already agreed (and
which is *essential* because the filenames from different versions may
be identical, and CMOR won't know what version is being written)

2) to move <ensemble member> from after to before <variable name> (as
already agreed to make it possible for different ensemble members to be
published as separate "ESG datasets"),

3)  and now also to add a <variable table>  subdirectory, so files in
table 6hrPlev and 6hrLev won't appear in the same directory.

**** PLEASE NOTE**** :  If there are no very strong objections, the
publisher (but not CMOR) should insert the <variable table> subdirectory
immediately *before* <ensemble member>.  It can't appear after <variable
name> because we want to be able to publish 6hrPlev and 6hrLev variables
as different "ESG datasets".  I'm placing it just after <frequency> and
<modeling realm> since in almost all cases "frequency" and "realm" imply
a unique table.  (In all cases table implies a unique "frequency" and
"realm".)

So the ESG directory structure will look like:

whereas the CMOR2 directory structure looks like:

So the two different directory structures are based on the same DRS, but CMOR omits more elements of the DRS than does the ESG publisher (see also Stephen's email listing different uses of the DRS)

I hope someone checks all of the above in case I've made any mistakes.

thanks,
Karl