[Go-essp-tech] DRS syntax and TDS identifiers

Bentley, Philip philip.bentley at metoffice.gov.uk
Thu Sep 2 04:18:40 MDT 2010

Hi folks,

Just for the record we (here at MOHC) have this week started producing
our first batch of CMOR-netCDF files for the CMIP5 archive using the
latest (and, we understand, final) version of the CMOR-2 library.
(Charles Doutriaux at PCMDI has indicated recently that, with the
exception of essential bug fixes, the CMOR-2 library is in effect now
frozen.)

It's not entirely clear to me if the changes to the DRS syntax/structure
being suggested at this *very* late stage in the game will impact on i)
the validity of the CMIP5 netCDF data files that we have just produced,
of which there are many GB, or ii) if this will require corresponding
updates to the CMOR-2 library.

I *think* the answer is 'no' on both counts, i.e. our data will still be
valid and the CMOR-2 library will not need to change. But it would
definitely be reassuring to us if someone on the mailing list could
corroborate this view!

Thanks,
Phil