[Go-essp-tech] CMOR and cell_measures issues

Kettleborough, Jamie jamie.kettleborough at metoffice.gov.uk
Fri Oct 29 06:04:55 MDT 2010

Hello Karl,

I think the recommended way to 'turn off' ext_cell_measures is to make a
call to cmor.set_variable_attribute(varid, 'ext_cell_measures', '').  Is
that right?  We are very tempted to do this for all variables - so
basically overriding the MIP tables.  How big a problem do you think
this will be for data users - our grid is pretty straight forward and
users can calculate cell_areas from the latitudes.

That aside, doesn't the approach of providing alternative grid areas
need more discussion?

  1. how should we produce these.  The most natural approach I can think
of is to modify the fx MIP tables to add in areacellb (or whatever we
choose to call it) and then output through CMOR - this will maximise the
chance of consistency between different grid area files for any one
model.

  2. how should we reference these additional areas from a variable.? I
could call cmor.set_variable_attribute(varid, 'ext_cell_measures',
'areacellb') - but in the tests I've done on CMOR 2.4 this only does
half the job: it puts the appropriate ext_call_measures attribute into
the file, but does nothing with associatedFiles.

Clearly these may have been things you were going to cover - but ran out
of time to, in which case sorry.

I think another scenario that still needs some thought is one where a
data provider has submitted data and published it in ESG.  They then
realise they made a mistake - they should have turned ext_cell_measures
off, but didn't (or visa-versa). What happens in this case?  (We have
kind of done this in that we have send data with incorrect cell_measures
to the BADC - but have caught the issue before ingestion into ESG  - I
don't believe we will always be this lucky).   You'll probably see
through why I'm asking this question about meta-data updates again now,
so I may as well be explicit... If we choose to turn off
ext_cell_measures for all our diagnostics on this initial submission -
what are our options for recovering from this if we later found the
decision to submit without ext_cell_measures was making our data hard to
use?

Jamie