[Go-essp-tech] Operating the ESGF

Bryan Lawrence bryan.lawrence at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Oct 13 07:37:13 MDT 2010

hi Folks

There is a ESGF teleconference on Friday to discuss Gateway installation
experiences but I feel there is a need to use the slot next Tuesday
(19th) to discuss some operational and data-centric issues.  Now many of
us have real CMIP5 data flowing we need to focus on more than just
the software.

We had a local meeting this morning, and the following are issues which
we think need some air time:

1.       Is everyone aware of DRS 0.28, particularly the changes to
version identifiers and directory path?  Versions are now datestamps,
and there is a new DRS component, mip_table.  Has the publisher and
gateway been tested with these changes?

2.       Are other sites ready to include the product detection code
from drslib in their publication procedure?

3.       CF-compliance of CMOR output.  There is a problem with the
cell_measures attribute that we can fix now before data is published.
We should ensure all CMOR output will pass the CF-checker.  We need
a procedure for updating the use of CMOR - even if folk have started
writing data with the current version.

General operational issues

4.       What is our latest timeline to "Publishing CMIP5 Data".  Karl
canvassed opinions but we haven't heard what, if anything, has been
promised at WGCM .  The closest we have is the Gateway release schedule
of a software release on October 20th.  Do we have an integrated data
node gateway release schedule?

5.       Replication testing has stalled (at least from BADC's
perspective).  We need an update from BADC/DKRZ/PCMDI.  When will we
need to be replicating data for real? (This has operational implications
for us in terms of extra copies of backups needed etc.)

(We probably need some backup plans for networks too, the transatlantic
step isn't going well.)

6.       How will QC be performed operationally.  The QC entry tool is
live http://qc.cmip5.ceda.ac.uk.  We have been testing the QC-level 2
software from DKRZ with mixed success.  What is the status at other
sites?

7. What is the status of developing an operational trust federation for
ESGF? When will an NCAR openid be acceptable at BADC and vice-versa (and
at other combinations of institutions obviously as well). What needs to
happen?

Feedback on these issues before a putative meeting on Tuesday would be
welcome, but if not, can folks make a meeting on Tuesday at the usual
time?

thanks in advance,
Bryan

Bryan Lawrence
Director of Environmental Archival and Associated Research
(NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre and NCEO/NERC NEODC)
STFC, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Phone +44 1235 445012; Fax ... 5848;
Web: home.badc.rl.ac.uk/lawrence