[Go-essp-tech] qctool deployed

Bryan Lawrence bryan.lawrence at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Oct 8 09:11:57 MDT 2010

hi Folks

Dominic has deployed the qctool for entering quality information at
http://qc.cmip5.ceda.ac.uk  (just one more "c" than the questionnaire).

The front page is open, to get further, you use the same access criteria
you use for access to the questionnaire.

This tool is for *recording* information. It has an atom feed, so other
tools can use the information, and we expect humans and (other) tools to
*generate* the information. Currently one would have to enter such
information manually (although it does allow upload of or links to plots
and logfiles). A future version will allow one to post an xml upload.
Future versions will also allow qctool instances deployed to federate
with each other.

(On access control: in the next few weeks I am hopeful that the ESG
openid federation will "go-live", which means that an ESG access control
token should allow access to either the questionnaire or the qctool).

The qctool has had *no* user testing. It might break horribly.  It is
being backed up daily ... but ...  It's much simpler than the
questionnaire, so hopefully we will fix things in much more real time,
and have little problem persisting information (and, in the short term,
should we fail, it's less likely to be a problem to re-enter ...
particularly given it is trivial to get xml versions of the material
entered from the tool).

(I expect it to change even over the next few days, but these changes
should just be adding functionality and improving look-n-feel, things
like a title etc :-) ... but we wanted it it out NOW, since we said we
would :-).

Feedback on usage gratefully accepted (to the metafor list and/or
metafor trac site using keyword qctool).

Building this has exposed some interesting issues, both with the CIM UML
(ConCIM) with the CIM serialisation (ApCIM) that we will explore with
Allyn at the upcoming metafor services meeting.

Cheers
Bryan

Bryan Lawrence
Director of Environmental Archival and Associated Research
(NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre and NCEO/NERC NEODC)
STFC, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Phone +44 1235 445012; Fax ... 5848;
Web: home.badc.rl.ac.uk/lawrence