[Go-essp-tech] [esg-gateway-dev] [ESG-CET] CMIP5 Federation Testing Outline

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Nov 22 04:52:58 MST 2010

Hi everyone,

I think there have been some very good points made here, I'll try and summarise and suggest a way forward.

We have 2 separate test plans: The Security System Integration Test Plan (SSITP for short) and the Cmip5Status/Test wiki page on esgf.org.

The Security test plan is an excellent comprehensive starting point but, as Estani points out, it is not just tests for verifying the deployment of what we have now as some tests will never pass with the current software.

The wiki page has a large overlap with the workflow tests in SSITP.  It covers a few extra things like replication and has a more high-level deployment matrix.  It is a lot less detailed than SSITP.

I really like the SSITP's structure of integration workflow tests building on more low-level unit-tests.  It exposes the size of the task of integration.  I expect if we try to do high-level integration tests without the low-level ones we'll always be chasing our tail.  I also agree with Gavin that we have to automate as much of this as possible.

However, we have to be pragmatic and verify we've deployed what we have now properly before we test the requirements for the perfect system.

Suggested actions:

A. Bring the wiki closer to SSITP.

 1. Update the wiki merge in SSITP workflow tests not currently covered.
 2. Identify those requirements in SSITP could be met by the current software and gather them into the wiki.
 3. Update the wiki deployment matrix to include all/most of what is in SSITP.

B. Use SSITP as a next-release requirements document.  I'm agnostic whether we keep it in GoogleDocs or
   transfer it to the wiki.  Provided we are clearly separated from the tests of this release.

C. Allocate responsibility for each category of test.  We need to spread out the work.

 1. Someone automates low-level tests
 2. Someone to add detail to workflow tests that can't be automated.
 3. Someone to be gatekeeper of the conformance matrix so we know the test has been consistently applied.

We can discuss this further at the telco tomorrow.

Cheers,
Stephen.