[Go-essp-tech] [esg-gateway-dev] [ESG-CET] CMIP5 Federation Testing Outline

philip.kershaw at stfc.ac.uk philip.kershaw at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Nov 19 05:09:46 MST 2010

Hi Eric and all,

Firstly, thank you for raising the issue of testing and putting it up the agenda.

I can understand your concerns about scope of the testing and time available.

My concern though would be to keep this activity within the scope of what we already agreed.

At the September meeting at ANL one of the express purposes was to lay out a plan for federation wide testing of the security system.  The document I referenced was an output from that.  It's not complete and to a large extent just sets out a framework.

I'm not saying that we should slavishly keep to it if it's not going to address our needs.  That said, because it was what we worked on together I think we should at the very least review it and take it into account.  It could be that the outcome of that is we say, it's not suitable - and that would be fine.  If we don't follow this process though, I think there's a danger of us not being consistent in our approach: perhaps missing out important items for testing our repeating or reinventing work that has already been done.

We can still have a test plan which encompasses a broad scope even if given time constraints, all those can't be met.  The tests can be listed and against each we agree at what stage we do them in our process of completing and rolling out the system.  It could be that some tests can't be done in the time - fine, but at least we have captured and recorded them.  If we go with an alternative organic wiki approach to the plan there's a danger that important things are omitted.

I had more of a think about using a wiki for the plan and I still have some unease about it.  Firstly, I appreciate the need for some kind of collaborative environment which we can all input into.  However, the plan needs to have distinct 'releases' so that we have consistent benchmarks upon which we can analyse the system. E.g. this sets of releases of this set of software passed against these tests a, b, c described in version X of the test plan.  There's a danger of things becoming vague if we grow a document organically and don't have a concept of distinct versions.

The test plan is an expression of what we expect the system to be able to do so it reflects the overall requirements.  I think it's important we do this really well.

Just as a general observation I think it can be hard with this kind of large collaborative project to document what we do consistently and that contrasts with the rigour I've seen applied to the documentation process in other software development projects.  That said, I think there's more that could be done and we would get a much better outcome for the system we deliver.

Cheers,
Phil