[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5_Amon pfull/phalf

Sébastien Denvil sebastien.denvil at ipsl.jussieu.fr
Wed Nov 17 02:09:11 MST 2010

Hi Denis,

we have the same error as you have, and I guess everyone with
alternate_hybrid_sigma will follow the same track.

My understanding of what's going on and a possible workaround is (even
tough not implemented yet) :

- The difference between time1 and time2 is that time2 is a
climatological axis : cell_methods: time: mean within years time: mean
over years
- But when you describe your vertical axis, the pressure level should
have the same time axis as plev/phalf
- So your pressure level should be as well on a climatological axis and
should be the result of a climatological mean.
- Not the same pressure level to describe  pfull/phalf and the other
variables having an alternate_hybrid_sigma vertical.

Create another entry for ps (let's say ps2) but with climatological time
axis :

     variable_entry:    ps2
     formula:          p(n,k,j,i) = ap(k) + b(k)*ps2(n,j,i)
     z_factors:        ap: ap b: b ps2: ps2
     z_bounds_factors: ap: ap_bnds b: b_bnds ps2: ps2
     dimensions:        longitude latitude time2

Generally speaking it could be clearer to have a CMIP5_Aclim as we have
CMIP5_Oclim table for ocean climatological field.
FYI the cmor-list is the most appropriate one for this question.

Regards.
Sébastien

--
Sébastien Denvil