[Go-essp-tech] ok_min_mean_abs and ok_max_mean_abs

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Mon Nov 8 15:07:30 MST 2010

Hi Denis,

I'm copying Charles D. who I hope will check the following for
correctness.  As I recall:

The mean_abs value is the temporal and spatial mean of the absolute
values of a field (based on latxlon grid cell values, but not area
weighting these).  The mean_abs value specified in the CMOR tables is
based on monthly means produced by CMIP3 models.  It basically gives you
the typical magnitude of the values of the field.  If a model has a
number much smaller or much larger than the CMOR table value, then it
may be unrealistic (or if off by an order of magnitude or more, it
probably means the units are wrong.)

Charles can tell you how he got the "max" and the "min" that appear in
the table.

regards,
Karl