[Go-essp-tech] CMOR and cell_measures issues

Kettleborough, Jamie jamie.kettleborough at metoffice.gov.uk
Mon Nov 1 11:09:30 MDT 2010

Hello Karl,

thanks for this reply.  Putting aside the issue of whether this is
really ext_cell_measures or cell_measures then I think, given the
resources we have locally, we have to make a choice of correctness vs
completeness.  The reason we are tempted to turn off ext_cell_measures
is it is the least effort way we can see of submitting data that is
correct.  I think you are suggesting going for completness - even if we
risk submitting some data with ext_cell_measures that is incorrect.
Obviously this is *my* interpretation of what you are saying.  Yes we
can go for both correctness and completeness, but this will take us some
effort - we need an exta component in our system that can recognise
which cell areas to assign to which variables (with minimum error) - and
we (like everyone) have lots of demands on our effort at the moment -
and we have to make judgements about where to prioritise.  (This isn't
supposed to be a sob story - just trying to explain why we are
tempted...)

Would you recommend 'completeness' over 'correctness' - have I
interpreted you correctly?  What are the options for correcting
incorrect meta-data once data is ingested into ESG?

Jamie