[Go-essp-tech] status metadata from/to CIM for quality control in CMIP5

Martina Stockhause martina.stockhause at zmaw.de
Mon Nov 1 02:36:32 MDT 2010

  Hi Bryan,

I'd like to sum up the status of our metadata exchange for CMIP5 quality
contols.

1. get CIM simulationRun for CMIP5 experiment:

I have still not understood how this will be provided: as AtomFeed
including all described simulationRuns or by a tool underlying the CIM
portal (ask for simulationRun of DRS experiment) providing the needed
simulationRun? I could need an example or at least the description of my
interface.

2. get contact out of CIM simulationRun:

During QC L2 and L3 checks it might be necessary to get in touch with
the data provider. I recall that we agreed on using the "contact"
(role=contact) in the simulationRun description. There is still the
field "AuthorList" in the form which gets lost afterwards but is
mandatory for the user. The XML export includes only the comment
<!--TBD: AuthorList: test 123-->. If this information cannot be stored
in CIM then delete it from the form and we have to ask for the list of
authors of the DOI during QC L3. And for the contact I asked a couple of
times to make the "email" field in the parties form mandatory.
Unfortunately, it is not.

Where do I get the email address for my contact? Will you check and if
necessary add that during QC L2 for metadata? If not, is there a list of
contacts including email addresses available that I could use instead of
CIM metadata?

I used an xml export of a MPI-M example to start with the development of
my cross-checks of QC L3. I have started to document the QC L3 checks at
https://redmine.dkrz.de/collaboration/projects/cmip5-qc/wiki/Qc_level_3_checks.
The majority of the checks test if the information extracted from the
TDS and ingested in CERA is still equal to the actual metadata in the
TDS. The overlap for information of TDS and CIM simulationRun is rather
small.

3. add quality information to CIM

qctool: Bryan, I am not allowed to open requests in the metafor request
tracker. So, I report it here. A report is stored without the sections
conformance result and quantitative result. These information is simply
lost.

I am prepared to export the QC L2 result out of the QC DB. One for
exporting the QC L3 result from CERA will follow. I could need the XML
scheme for the report, since I cannot export it from the qctool web site
(see above).

4. update CIM information for QC L3

It is still not clear to me, how metadata changed by the data author
during the QC L3 process, which is changed in CERA, will be reported to CIM.

Meantime we set up a view in CERA providing information for quality
status and DOI, e.g. for our test case:

http://cera-www.dkrz.de/ceraMeta/SelectGeneric?&q=*%20from%20cera2.v_qc_Status%20where%20entry_name%3D%27CMIP5%20output%20MPI-M%20ECHAM6-MPIOM-LR%20rcp45%27&sep=,&fo=x

(select * from cera2.v_qc_Status where entry_name='CMIP5 output MPI-M
ECHAM6-MPIOM-LR rcp45';)

ENTRY_NAME = DRS experiment name (separated by blanks)
ACCESS_SPEC = DOI link if available
SPECIFICATION = quality flags

We can change that if necessary.

That's our status for the QC-CIM metadata exchanges.

Best wishes,
Martina