[Go-essp-tech] +2Gb CMIP5 files

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Tue May 18 08:34:14 MDT 2010

I've done some testing of these file limits this afternoon and I don't
think the filesystems will be a problem.

>From Wikipedia it appears the FAT32 file system has a 4Gb limit
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table).  That covers
Windows 95 onwards but my Windows XP box is NTFS and has no problem with
+4Gb files.  Similarly my 32-bit linux laptop (recent ubuntu) can handle
+4Gb files.

Looks like anyone with a reasonably modern system will be able to handle
+4Gb files.  We may have more problems with old NetCDF library versions.

S.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
British Atmospheric Data Centre