[Go-essp-tech] Quality Control (A Perspective)++

Gavin M Bell gavin at llnl.gov
Tue Mar 16 13:32:58 MDT 2010

In addition to my last email...

I also believe it to be important that anything published by the
publisher should be immediately available to the entire community to
download, investigate, look at, etc....  We can leverage the entire
community to help with quality control in addition to the few that are
directly charged with the review responsibility.  One thing that would
have to be worked out, as I mentioned before would be the mechanism for
communication - OUTSIDE OF THE ESG SYSTEM.

I do not believe in making data not fully open and visible.

I feel that the openness of the system will have the effect of forcing
people to be more judicious when publishing their work.  Also, if
someone attempts to reference a bit of work that does not have a proper
DOI associated with it, it will speak to the rigor and thus validity of
that work, which the community should judge appropriately.

If you have a visibility cloak, I feel it does a disservice, as it
fosters a certain whimsy or laissez-faire posture w.r.t publishing that
should be discouraged.

Okay... I think that is all I wanted to say.
:-)

--
Gavin M. Bell
Lawrence Livermore National Labs

 "Never mistake a clear view for a short distance."
       	       -Paul Saffo

(GPG Key - http://rainbow.llnl.gov/dist/keys/gavin.asc)

 A796 CE39 9C31 68A4 52A7  1F6B 66B7 B250 21D5 6D3E