[Go-essp-tech] Current status on CMIP5 security roles

philip.kershaw at stfc.ac.uk philip.kershaw at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Jun 22 03:07:03 MDT 2010

Hi Ag,

> I would argue that we (i.e. BADC) *do* need to record the proposed
> usage on the following grounds...
>
> We have pulled in funding from multiple projects/sources to support the
> CMIP5 effort and we will need to report usage to all of them. Some of
> the funders are supporting the core climate science but others have a
> greater interest in the climate impacts community. From my perspective
> it would therefore be invaluable to have a "proposed usage" field in
> the user database(s) so that we can categorise the usage in our
> reporting.
>
> Bryan and Phil, please feel free to shout me down as expressing an out-
> of-date viewpoint on this issue.

I don't think it matters from the point of view of the access control architecture.  As it stands, users will register for some cmip5 access attribute(s) at a web interface hosted by PCMDI.  PCMDI also hosts an Attribute Service which enables others services in the federation to query that a given user has registered with PCMDI for the given cmip5 access attribute(s).

Any additional information recorded at PCMDI during registration is out of band.  You might want to consider how the information is disseminated from PCMDI's record to the funders you mention.

Cheers,
Phil