[Go-essp-tech] requirements for scientific workspace

Cecelia DeLuca Cecelia.DeLuca at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 18 08:08:16 MDT 2010

All,
Here's a little more background ...
On a recent Curator call, we reviewed several collaborative scientific
sites that include "social" aspects and there was a strong negative
response (the phrase "social networking" is a killer).  Unless there is
some unanticipated demand, Curator was not planning to head down this
path in the near future.  However, there are aspects of how people
interact with a gateway and each other that may be important, especially
in the context of collaborative analysis, for example:
- can a user modify or supplement existing metadata
- can a user create a personal or project workspace and add metadata,
links to artifacts (e.g. saved searches, links to datasets) or comments
to it
- can a user upload their own metadata (e.g. output graphics) to the
metadata associated with a simulation
- can a user upload analysis scripts that can be shared by others
We discussed these user-interaction/collaboration topics with a few
scientists on another Curator call and got a laundry list of
capabilities that the scientists thought would be useful.  So if we
ended up with a go-essp call on this at some point I think the idea
would be to focus on that list and propose what a workspace appropriate
for ESGF might look like.  For an idea of some of the topics covered, a
rough version of the laundry list is below.
- Cecelia

***
Output data
- need a template-driven way to post results

Visualization
- after posting model runs, enable workshop participants to visualize them
-- link the visualizations to private or group workspaces
-- post the visualizations to analysis blogs
-- attach the visualizations as metadata to simulations
- enable visualizations to be applied to multiple simulations at the same
time, as an extension of the comparison table
- visualization tools linked to analysis capabilities for intercomparison
- collection of figures or atlas - might be as part of the shared project
workspace or higher up

Grids
- post a figure that describes the model grid in metadata section of the
model,
in simulation results for a model run, as a contribution to model
documentation

Scripts
- Ability for user to write a python script, save it, and then share it

Table comparison
- finish implementation of attribute text comparison as a general tool,
link to visualization and potentially other capabilities

Place to post rules of the MIP
- For example, specifies whether output data needs to be on a
particular grid

Test specifications
- **Archive test descriptions, associate them with intercomparison
projects, and show which results are available at a given time**

User annotation and metadata:
Where -
- project workspace (e.g. for a MIP), metadata to describe a single model,
metadata for a specific simulation, personal workspace
What -
- visualization
- links to references and user manuals
- small writeups about particular model runs
How -
- if free text gets too long, a blog would be useful
- for unstructured communications may just link to a wiki
- how do users update metadata?  Policy discussion required.  Dealing
with annotation - free text comments, tagging