[Go-essp-tech] Access control for data with different QC Level

Martina Stockhause martina.stockhause at zmaw.de
Tue Jul 20 01:06:51 MDT 2010

Hi all,

it seems that we have different ideas of access constraints:

1. My understanding was that at QC L1 the CMIP5 modeling centers, at QC
L2 non-commercial researchers and at QC L3 every registered user can
access the data.
2. Bryan please correct me: There is QC L1 as in 1. and after QC L2 and
QC L3 all registered users have access to the core data. Maybe only
non-commercial researchers are granted access to the non-core data.

This is more a political issue.

In either case the QC Level has to be communicated to the ESG.
Luca suggests that the portal uses the AtomFeed of the questionnaire to
harvest the QC Flag. And after QC L3 the DOI link as well. QC and DOI
are informations on data, so the right place in metafor CIM would be the
dataObject on the hierarchy level "DRS experiment".
Which parts of CIM do you harvest?

My biggest question at the moment is how to deliver the QC information
to CIM. For the DOI target page there are a few additional information
pieces needed on citation and contact. Stephen suggested to type them
into the questionnaire. This would slow the publication process down and
is error-prone. We need an automated CIM update there. The metafor
people were against that solution as well because the questionnaire is
meant for an inital metadata ingest by the modeling centers.
Bryan, how do we get the information in the questionnaire, so that it
can be harvested by the ESG?
Which would be the alternatives to the AtomFeed/questionnaire as
harvesting source for the quality level and DOI information?

My second biggest question is where to put the information in the CIM. I
sent my interpretation / suggestion to the metafor list, but it didn't
start a discussion. Examples for a simulationRun object, on how the
dataObjects are referenced and on how the dataObject hierarchies are
built, would be of great help. Or metafor just defines how I should send
the quality information to them.

I moved away from the technical issues, but to solve these things is the
precondition for the technical solution in the ESG.

Thanks a lot,
Martina

----------- DKRZ / Data Management -----------

Martina Stockhause