[Go-essp-tech] Replication: requested and output DRS products.

Bob Drach drach at llnl.gov
Thu Jul 8 13:28:47 MDT 2010

Hi Karl,

As I recall we discussed whether to build into the publisher (probably
within the CMIP5 / IPCC5 handler) the definition of 'requested
datasets'. The publisher could then associate a 'requested' value for
some property (product?) to aid the identification. This hasn't been
done yet - and it's not obvious how straightforward it would be - but
could be if the definition is sufficiently well defined at this point.

Bob

On Jul 7, 2010, at 5:59 PM, Karl Taylor wrote:

> [...]
>
> I'm not sure scientists care much about the distinction between the
> "output", "requested", and "replicated" categories. Martin indicates
> their might be mild interest in being able to search only over the
> "requested" category, since outside that category, there may be
> little uniformity in what is available from the different models.
> There will be little interest in being able to distinguish between
> "requested" and "replicated" unless there is a difference in the
> quality control tests that have been applied to these two categories
> (and then only if a noticeable amount of data in the "requested"
> category wouldn't pass the "replicated" tests). Will this likely be
> the case?
>
> Clearly the ESG federation must be able to decide which files to
> replicate, so unlike the scientists there is real interest to some
> of you on this list that we be able to distinguish that subset. I'm
> not sure this information has to be part of the DRS though. Couldn't
> we just have some database that lists the criteria for selecting
> data to be replicated? The database coupled with coding to access
> that information could be used to decide whether each file in the
> "output" category needs to be replicated or not. This is why that
> although the current DRS document allows "product" to be either
> "output" or "requested", an all caps note appears stating: "[WILL
> POSSIBLY MODIFY THE ABOVE IF WE DON’T NEED TO KNOW ABOUT
> “REQUESTED”]."
>
> Bob Drach and I had some extended discussions about this some time
> ago, but I can't recall if he decided to include some capability
> along these lines in the publisher (i.e., enables the publisher to
> determine whether files are in the "requested" category or not), or
> if we've left that for completely independent external coding. Bob
> returns from vacation later this week, so I suggest we wait for some
> input from him.
>
> Best regards,
> Karl
>
> On 7/7/10 2:48 AM, martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
>> Hello Estani,
>>
>> The reference to CMIP5_archive_size.xls was not very useful,
>> apologies for referencing a file that isn't publicly available --
>> it is attached.
>>
>> According to the DRS document, everything should be found under the
>> "output" branch, and the "requested" branch will be a subset of the
>> "output".
>>
>> An end user may want a homogeneous dataset, and so may opt to
>> restrict attention to the "requested" data where he is likely to
>> find the same variables from a large range of models. He may, on
>> the other hand, want all available data for a given set of
>> experiments, in which case he should go to the "output" branch. He
>> will then find additional (low priority) variables and extended
>> time coverage from a small number of models.
>>
>> I'll see what can be done about a "DRS:requested" and
>> "ESGF:replicated" document (or wiki page),

>>> achieved (the replicated data is already redundant, but the other
>>> isn't)