[Go-essp-tech] Replication: requested and output DRS products.

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Wed Jul 7 18:59:53 MDT 2010

Dear all,

I'm not sure scientists care much about the distinction between the
"output", "requested", and "replicated" categories. Martin indicates
their might be mild interest in being able to search only over the
"requested" category, since outside that category, there may be little
uniformity in what is available from the different models. There will be
little interest in being able to distinguish between "requested" and
"replicated" unless there is a difference in the quality control tests
that have been applied to these two categories (and then only if a
noticeable amount of data in the "requested" category wouldn't pass the
"replicated" tests). Will this likely be the case?

Clearly the ESG federation must be able to decide which files to
replicate, so unlike the scientists there is real interest to some of
you on this list that we be able to distinguish that subset. I'm not
sure this information has to be part of the DRS though. Couldn't we just
have some database that lists the criteria for selecting data to be
replicated? The database coupled with coding to access that information
could be used to decide whether each file in the "output" category needs
to be replicated or not. This is why that although the current DRS
document allows "product" to be either "output" or "requested", an all
caps note appears stating: "[WILL POSSIBLY MODIFY THE ABOVE IF WE DON’T
NEED TO KNOW ABOUT “REQUESTED”]."

Bob Drach and I had some extended discussions about this some time ago,
but I can't recall if he decided to include some capability along these
lines in the publisher (i.e., enables the publisher to determine whether
files are in the "requested" category or not), or if we've left that for
completely independent external coding. Bob returns from vacation later
this week, so I suggest we wait for some input from him.