[Go-essp-tech] CMOR2 compress?

martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Jan 11 03:50:27 MST 2010

Hello Karl, Joerg,

I did some tests and found that reading compressed netcdf 4 is slower than reading uncompressed netcdf 4, bur faster than reading netcdf 3. For reading a single latitude longitude field out of a 1Gb file, compression only caused a 10% slow down (though this depends on how the "chunking" parameters are set). When reading the whole file, compression made it more than 4 times slower, but still faster than netcdf 3.

My feeling is that we should stick with compression: if users expect to be reading files repeatedly they can decompress it themselves.

Cheers,
Martin